Posted by John on September 27th, 2010
Here’s 10 reasons why radio stations (in any format) should stream Christmas music this year.
1. Radio stations need exclusive digital content to drive website traffic and create buzz with listeners to tap rapidly expanding digital revenue.
2.Christmas music is proven to attract listeners. A recent Arbitron study showed a whopping 91% AQH increase among stations that went all Christmas last year. Lucky you if you’ve got the “all Christmas music” station. If not, a radio station can protect against audience erosion by providing Christmas programming online dont make them listen elsewhere!
3. Listeners to all radio formats seek out Christmas music. A recent Jacobs Media study showed that 20% of rock and classic rock listeners tune to Christmas music on the radio during the holidays.
4.Internet-only, pureplay radio listening is surpassing terrestrial radio streams according to recent Bridge Ratings and Ando Web Metrics studies. Yikes – nuff said.
5. Radio Stations can go All-Christmas music online without changing format on air. While listeners love Christmas music, they also love the station’s regular format. Why not give them both?
6. Broadcast radio listeners and advertisers are vulnerable. Dont let them flock
to the markets AC all Christmas station or some generic Internet-only playlist. If you build it (and its good), they will stay. If you dont build it, they will go elsewhere.
7. Keep radio listeners tuned in wherever the Internet can reach at home, at work and on-the-go on PCs, iPhone, iPad, mobile devices, and Internet radios.
8. Streaming Christmas music is a win for both sales and programming.
Programming gets a tactical imaging and audience connection tool they will be excited to promote. Sales get an unique, programming-driven promotion thats easy to sell.
9. Radio stations CAN sell this and make money. Even if its been a challenge to
sell other digital properties, an online, station-branded Christmas Channel is like giving the sales team digital training wheels. Any station that can sell sponsorships, remotes, contests and other NTR, can sell and make money with a Christmas Channel. A Christmas Channel this year could be a first, easy step toward opening a whole world of new year-round digital opportunities and ideas.
10. Join the winners! Custom Channels has helped hundreds of radio stations create and stream full-branded, sales-friendly, Christmas music channels streamed from the station web site. We’ve been doing it for 10 years.