The Custom Channels Blog

Don’t Get Handcuffed Over Music Licensing For Your Business

Posted by Dave on April 25th, 2011

Making sure you have the right licenses to perform music in your store or restaurant can be a tricky, confusing and expensive exercise. Frankly, that’s why most businesses contract with a music service like Custom Channels, because we handle all of the licenses for you as part of your monthly fee so you can worry about running your business instead of running afoul of copyright laws.

Here’s the bottom line: most businesses need to obtain “public performance licenses” from Performing Rights Organizations (PROs), namely ASCAP, BMI and SESAC in order to play or “publicly perform” music in their place of business. You can’t play music in a business without paying licensing fees for doing so.

Every year, dozens of bars, restaurants, retail stores, nightclubs, hotels and other businesses are sued (usually successfully) by the PROS. Some have even been put out of business through successful lawsuits over copyright infringement.

So, if you want to play your iPod or your CD collection in your store, you’ll probably still need to sign up and get licenses directly from the PROS. This is often a costly and time-consuming endeavor.

The benefit of using a licensed music service like Custom Channels is you get the music you want without the licensing headaches and hassle. We’re music fanatics, so we can expand your music selection, keep your music fresh and make your business sound the best it can, all legally! Custom Channels’ Dave Rahn has been involved with music licensing for over 10 years and has participated directly in the U.S. Copyright Office Copyright Royalty Board proceedings to help determine rates and terms for the digital transmission of sound recordings.

Share this: