Posted by John on March 13th, 2010
Weve talked to people in retail, restaurants and offices who use Sirius/XM satellite radio. The word that keeps being repeated is repetition. Owners and employees tell us they hear the same songs repeated all the time on Sirius/XM radio channels. Its no wonder. We looked at how often the same songs got played during the week of March 6-12, 2010, on some of the Sirius/XM channels being used in offices and in stores.
Same song got played
- Sirius Hits-1 124 times weekly / 18 times daily
- Pink Channel 95 times weekly / 14 times daily
- Kiss 89 times weekly / 13 times daily
- Pulse 69 times weekly / 10 times daily
- BPM 62 times weekly / 9 times daily
- Nashville Country 56 times weekly / 8 times daily
- The Highway (Country) 44 times / 6 times daily
- Spectrum 42 times / 6 times daily
- Mix 37 times weekly / 5 times daily
- Alt Nation 36 times / 5 times daily
- Blend 34 times weekly / 5 times daily
We know that repetition is one of the main complaints about other music services like Sirius/XM satellite radio, Muzak and PlayNetworks. Sirius/XM is built more for in-and-out listening, mostly in-car commuting listening, more than for all day, at-work, leave-it-on listening.
Repeating the same songs gives your business little diversity and variety, unless you constantly switch to different channels and that’s a hassle. We believe music is a key ingredient to happy employees. And happy employees leads to happy customers.
We design Custom Channels for businesses without relying on a small, repetitive music library. Our Custom Channel for Whole Foods currently has about 3,000 songs and we’re still adding. Another example of a less repetitive music service is our Smile Radio channels. It’s designed for an 8 hour workday in dental offices. Our Pop Smile channel plays the most popular songs about 14 times a week. Smile One and Lite Smile channels (similar to The Blend or Mix on Sirius/XM) play some songs a maximum of once a day. And Adult Rock Smile (similar to Sirius/XM Spectrum) is once a day max. We believe one channel doesn’t fit all businesses. That’s why we’re Custom Channels.Share this: